Next up for our 2016 Preservation Awards are the winners of the Award of Merit, which is presented for the sympathetic rehabilitation of a historic building or structure in our nine-county region completed within the past two years.
2016 Award of Merit recipient – Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse. Photo by Sheridan Vincent.
70 Lighthouse Street, City of Rochester, Monroe County
This challenging project features the restoration of America’s oldest lighthouse on Lake Ontario, which is owned by Monroe County and managed by the Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society. Using historic documentation from the National Park Service and National Archives, the 1863 keeper’s residence and 1822 stone tower are being restored to their original 19th century appearance. The restoration of the brick house includes the re-creation of the original entrance surround, sidelights, door and windows, as well as new louvered shutters and window detailing. Major masonry and structural repair to the stone tower and its upper lantern room, as well as the installation of a newly fabricated Fresnel lens in the tower were recently completed. Eight new coats of whitewash on the stone tower have replicated the original protective finish that has been missing for over a century. Bero Architecture PLLC, is the project designer, in coordination with the National Park Service.
2016 Award of Merit recipient – Skalny Building: Bivona Child Advocacy Center. Photo by Tim Wilkes.
Skalny Building: Bivona Child Advocacy Center
1 Mt. Hope Avenue, City of Rochester, Monroe County
Rochester’s oldest surviving industrial building and a City of Rochester designated landmark, the former “Old Stone Warehouse” has been sensitively rehabilitated to house the Bivona Child Advocacy Center. This $5.3 million project now houses the headquarters of an innovative organization and its partner agencies, with teams of specialists, treating child sexual and physical abuse, all at one location. Completed with a major donation from the Skalny Foundation, the rehabilitation of this c. 1820 stone building brings new use to an important South Wedge neighborhood landmark. The building is listed in the State and National Registers of Historic Place and was rehabilitated using the Federal Tax Credit program. Architect Norbert Hausner was the lead architect and Saralinda Hooker was the historic preservation consultant for this distinctive preservation project.
2016 Award of Merit – Button Loft Apartments.
Button Loft Apartments
340 Rutgers Street, City of Rochester, Monroe County
Originally built in 1903-04 as the M.B. Shantz Button Co. factory, this former industrial building has been creatively renovated as 39 loft apartments. In recent decades, this prominent building, located just off Monroe Avenue, was used as a warehouse for office equipment. Now listed in the State and National Register of Historic Places, the handsome brick building has been completely transformed, with original window openings uncovered, glass windows installed, interiors redesigned as loft apartments, and the site enhanced for this important transformation from commercial to residential use. Owned by DHD Ventures and designed by Passero Associates, architects, this revitalized building was rehabilitated using the Federal Tax Credit program.
2016 Award of Merit recipient – Church of the Most Holy Trinity.
Church of the Most Holy Trinity
1460 Ridge Road, Town of Webster, Monroe County
Designed by Rochester architect Joseph Oberlies, the dramatic Church of the Most Holy Trinity was constructed in 1901 at the eastern edge of the village of Webster. The handsome Romanesque Revival church has been undergoing a major rehabilitation over the past several years. This challenging project included exterior repairs, including a new Spanish slate roof, new expanded copper gutters, final and cornice work, restoration of the South stained glass “Rose window,” bell tower repair and re-pointing and new copper reproductions of exterior detailing, such as pinnacles and the large cross on the roof. Bero Architecture, PLLC was project architect, working with contractors Kurt Catalano, CSTM Corporation; George Easton, Easton Specialties; and Valerie O’Hara, Pike Stained Glass.
The Landmark Society’s 2016 Annual Preservation Awards ceremony will take place on Sunday, November 13 at 3 PM in Rochester’s historic City Hall, the handsomely restored Richardsonian Romanesque landmark located downtown at 30 Church Street.