GVRR Rounds 1 and 2 are Closed
In partnership with the NYS Office of the Governor and NYS Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, the Landmark Society is pleased to announce the recipients of Round 2 funding through the Genesee Valley Rural Revitalization (GVRR) Grant Program!
This program, funded by the Paul Bruhn Historic Revitalization Grants Program through the Historic Preservation Fund, administered by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior, aims to support historic restoration and rehabilitation projects in our rural Finger Lakes and Western New York communities. Additional funding was provided by the Rochester Area Community Foundation. The funding awarded in Round 2 exhausts the funding currently available. However, we hope to apply for and receive another Paul Bruhn grant in the future. Over 50 applications were received in Round 2 with more than $2 million in grant requests. Eleven projects have been selected and a total of $462,230 has been awarded in Round 2.
- Must be a historic commercial, industrial, civic, educational, or community-oriented building;
- Must be located within Allegany, Cattaraugus, Genesee, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Schuyler, Steuben, Wayne, Wyoming, or Yates Counties;
- Must be within incorporated villages with a population of 4,000 or less, or within towns with a population of 10,000 or less; and
- Must be listed or determined eligible for listing in the NYS and National Registers of Historic Places
- Community-based nonprofit organizations;
- Units of local government (village, town, county);
- Business owners who operate within a historic building and have permission to apply from the building owner; and
- Non-residential property owners who own an eligible building type.
- Capital rehabilitation/ restoration projects, including, but not limited to:
- Roof replacement;
- Masonry repair;
- Window repair or replacement;
- Storefront restoration;
- Systems upgrades;
- Creation of ADA-compliant accessibility;
- Completion of Cultural Resource Surveys and National Register Nominations
- Project soft costs
- Construction documents
- Condition reports
Contact Megan Klem, Preservation Planner with The Landmark Society, to request an application or with any questions.
Round 1 Awardees
Click here to learn about the Round 1 awardees.
Click here for a press release from New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation about the Round 1 awardees.
Funded through a $750,000 grant awarded to the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation (NYS OPRHP) from the National Park Service’s Paul Bruhn Rural Revitalization Grants Program, the Genesee Valley Rural Revitalization (GVRR) Grant Program, administered by The Landmark Society of Western New York (LSWNY) and NYS OPRHP, aims to support historic restoration and rehabilitation projects throughout rural communities in the Finger Lakes and Western New York regions.
The GVRR program allows NYS OPRHP and LSWNY to offer $5,000 to $50,000 reimbursable, unmatched sub-grants for eligible historic buildings to preserve the historic places that have shaped rural communities, their social fabric, and economy.
This program is funded by the Paul Bruhn Historic Revitalization Grants Program through the Historic Preservation Fund, and administered by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior.
Generous support provided by: