The Architectural Heritage of Cuba – April 20-27, 2017
Having recently returned from our first trip to Cuba, we would like to escort one more tour during this transitional period. As relations between the U.S. and Cuba evolve, it’s difficult to forecast what changes will occur. Come with us to experience the Cuba of today – and interact directly with Cuban experts to discover what challenges and opportunities they anticipate as economic opportunities expand.
Our 8 day-7 night trip will give you a tour experience like no other Cuban itinerary. Our guides and hosts will be architects, urban planners and artists. We’ll explore the historic architecture of Havana as well as the colonial cities of Cienfuegos and Trinidad and the coastal city of Varadero. Three of our destinations are designated as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Our guides will include renowned architect and urban planner Miguel Coyula, Pedro Vazquez, founding member of Cuba’s National Union of Architects, and architect and restoration specialist Nancy Benitez. And we are delighted to have Viviana Rives, guide to Governor Cuomo, return as our personal guide for the entire trip.
Rest assured we’ll also experience other aspects of Cuba’s art and culture. Our stops will include everything from the Museum of Fine Arts to Finca Vigia, where Hemingway lived for over 20 years. We’ll even visit a cigar factory. Several free evenings will enable you to enjoy dinner at some of the smaller “paladores” – former homes turned into state-sanctioned family run restaurants. You may choose to enjoy Havana’s famed nightclubs where you can sample music and dance influenced by Caribbean-afro influences – while sipping the national cocktail – the Cuba libre. We’ll even have some time to explore a local beach or oceanfront walk.
Our hotel in Havana is a historic site in its own right: the Hotel Nacional. Built in 1930 by the famed firm of McKim, Mead and White, it has been the chosen spot for everyone from Frank Sinatra to Jimmy Carter. You could easily spend the free evenings onsite, enjoying the ocean view, 5 restaurants, several bars and musical entertainment every night. Our two nights in Cienfuegos we’ll stay at the Hotel Jagua – a wonderfully restored and decorated mid-century modern hotel. And in Varadero we will be staying in the All-inclusive Melia Varadero Hotel.
This trip is limited to 25 guests, and will be accompanied by our executive director Wayne Goodman and additional Landmark staff members.
What is included:
- All transportation, including motorcoach to Toronto, nonstop flights between Toronto and Havana, and luxury air conditioned motorcoach between Havana, Cienfuegos and Trinidad.
- Four nights in the Hotel Nacional in Havana, two nights at the Hotel Jagua in Cienfuegos; and one night in the Melia Varadero Hotel in Varadero.
- 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 2 dinners.
- Official Asistur Cuban health insurance coverage, as required by the Cuban government.
- Expert Cuban English speaking guide and translator, support from Authentic Cuba Travel staff in Cuba
- Escorted by executive director Wayne Goodman and additional Landmark staff.
- Gratuities for guide, Cuba coach driver, hotel and restaurant staff.
- Five evening meals and two lunches, to enable you to experience some of the smaller traditional restaurants or choose from several dining areas in the Hotel Nacional (average cost in Havana – $8 to $25 for dinner)
- Optional travel interruption and cancellation insurance
To see a detailed itinerary, register for the tour, or view photos from this year’s tour, click on the links below. You may also call us at (585) 546-7029 x 11 to hold a space on the tour with a credit card, but all registration applications must be submitted in writing.
Deadline to register for this tour is Monday, June 27. Download application forms here or call (585) 546-7029 x 11 and we will mail the forms to you. You may pay a $500 nonrefundable deposit over the phone, but due to the nature of travel between the US and Cuba, all applications must be submitted in writing.
Total cost: Landmark members $5,395 Non-members $5,795 Single supplement $900.