459 Exchange Street
City of Geneva, Ontario County
Located in the heart of Geneva’s downtown, the Dove Block is one of that community’s most distinctive commercial buildings. Built in 1878, the three-story structure was erected by W.G. Dove, a successful contractor and brick manufacturer. The building originally housed an auditorium, roller-skating rink, and drill hall, with retail businesses on the first floor. In the 1930s, W.G. Dove’s son, Arthur—considered America’s first abstract expressionist artist—resided on the third floor, where he painted some of his most famous works. A group of Geneva citizens has formed “The Dove Block Restoration Group” with plans to purchase and rehabilitate the building, which has been vacant for more than a dozen years.