2018 Preservation Awards

And, the envelope, please… Yes – it’s again time for The Landmark Society’s highly-anticipated Preservation Awards! The Awards are given to individuals and
organizations in our nine-county area that have made outstanding efforts in the preservation of their homes, public buildings, historic properties, and landscapes.
We are proud to announce the following winners of the 2018 Preservation Awards:

Barber Conable Award

The Barber Conable Award recognizes a large-scale rehabilitation of an historic
building in our region completed within the past two years.

Preservation Initiatives in Perry, New York
Village of Perry, Wyoming County, New York

The Barna C. Roup LLC acquired and rehabilitated the long-vacant Roup-Sternberg House (1898) at 38 Borden Avenue using the National Register Rehabilitation Tax Credit Program for income-producing buildings.

This year’s Conable Award recognizes five outstanding efforts in the Village
of Perry that signify this community’s on-going commitment to historic
preservation. Over the past decade, the Perry Main Street Association, led by
Mayor and architect Rick Hauser, has encouraged local planning, business
advocacy, community events, and the rehabilitation of buildings in the
village’s downtown commercial district. The Barna C. Roup LLC acquired
and rehabilitated the long-vacant Roup-Sternberg House (1898) at 38 Borden
Avenue using the National Register Rehabilitation Tax Credit Program for income-producing buildings. The Silver Lake Brewing Project at 14 Borden Ave. completed a

The 1914 Neo-Classical revival Masonic Temple at 21 North Main Street is a center for community life in Perry.

challenging project: a much-altered, creek-side commercial building was
rehabilitated and a craft brewery was created using the National Register Tax Credit program. The owners of two remarkable 1914 buildings in the village are also being recognized for their on-going stewardship: Constellation Lodge #404 F & A M, for the
care of its elegant, Neo-Classical Revival Masonic Temple at 21 North Main Street, and the Perry Public Library at 70 North Main Street, a Carnegie-funded landmark.

Award of Merit

The Award of Merit is for the sympathetic rehabilitation of a historic building or structure in our nine-county region completed within the past two years.

G. W. Todd-Wilmot Castle Company
1255 University Avenue, City of Rochester, Monroe County

$6.5 million rehabilitation of a 1909, industrial building utilizing the National Register of Historic Places tax credits for income-producing buildings. Completed by Rochester
developers Andrew Crossett and Andrew Bodewes for mixed use, including loft apartments and Living Roots Wine and Company, an urban winery. Passero Associates were project architects.

Tower280
280 East Broad Street, City of Rochester, Monroe County

The reutilization of the iconic Midtown Office and Hotel Building (1962), which was
formerly part of the Midtown Plaza complex. Now rehabilitated as apartments, offices,
retail, and restaurant space, this $59 million project presented extensive challenges to
its developers, Morgan Management LLC and Buckingham Properties LLC. The success of this remarkable effort has served as a catalyst for similar projects in that downtown neighborhood.

Kearney Hall tower and spire, St. John Fisher College
3690 East Avenue, Town of Pittsford, Monroe County

Extensive rehabilitation of the spire and tower of this 1948 building, which was the
first building erected on the East Avenue campus. In addition to repairs to the tower,
the spire was completely re-built with lead-coated copper, a new glass lantern, and a re-gilded finial. Project architect Bero Architecture PLLC with CSTM Corp. project contractor.

Historic Landscape Award

The Historic Landscape Award recognizes and encourages the preservation, restoration and stewardship of historically significant landscapes in our nine-county region.

Abbey of the Genesee
3258 West River Road
Town of Piffard, Livingston County

On-going care and maintenance of this 2,400-acre property, which has been owned and maintained by the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance (Trappists), a monastic
community, for 68 years. Located on the west side of the Genesee River with magnificent views across the valley, the property includes agricultural land, woodland (managed with modern forestry techniques), open space, a historic cobblestone
residence, and their iconic Mid-Century Modern complex of buildings set in a designed landscape.

Special Achievement Award

The Special Achievement Award recognizes accomplishments that have occurred over a lengthy period of time.

Frances and George Gotcsik
Community Advocates, Village of Lima, Livingston County, New York

For over five decades, Lima residents Fran and George Gotcsik have committed their time and talents to important preservation projects in their own community and the
western New York region, as both private citizens and elected officials. These efforts include preservation advocacy in rural communities, National Register of Historic Places
designations, historic building rehabilitation, sensitive economic development, open space conservation, and public trails projects.

Special Citation

A Special Citation provides recognition for projects that do not fit into other categories or recognizes outstanding individual or group accomplishments in the field of historic preservation.

Restoration of the Pools, Fountains and Water Features,
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park at Manhattan Square
Chestnut and East Broad Streets, City of Rochester, Monroe County

This award recognizes the City of Rochester for its restoration of the pools, fountains and water features in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park. Designed by internationally renowned landscape architect Lawrence Halprin in the 1960s, these
distinctive water features and adjoining landscape were created as part of the Manhattan Square Urban Renewal complex, featuring high-rise apartment buildings in a contemporary park setting. Long dormant, these important water features, enjoyed
by thousands of visitors, have now been restored through a major funding initiative by the City.

Luke Nicosia
Digitization of the slide images in The Landmark Society’s Photo Collection

Over the past four years, volunteer Luke Nicosia has reviewed, organized and digitized the nearly 100,000 slides in The Landmark Society’s photo collection. While this project
began during his sophomore year in high school, Luke has subsequently dedicated thousands of hours to this task, working not only during summer vacations and school breaks, but throughout the academic year. His talent for detail and programming has made him particularly qualified for this important assignment, which has brought our extensive collection of slide images into the 21st century.

Mike Governale
“Rochester Subway” blog and Reconnect Rochester

For over a decade, community advocate Mike Governale has promoted “smart growth” initiatives that include historic preservation projects, improved transportation systems and urban revitalization through his in-depth “Rochester Subway” blog and the Reconnect Rochester organization. While his postings draw a wide audience of viewers, they have been particularly effective in engaging members of the younger
generation in discussions about preservation issues and local planning.

Restoration of the “Rochester, 1838” Diorama
Rochester Museum and Science Center
657 East Avenue, Rochester, Monroe County

One of the most beloved exhibits in any local museum, the “Rochester, 1838” diorama was installed in 1941, as one of the original interpretive displays in Bausch Hall, the centerpiece of the museum’s new, East Avenue campus. Coordinated by artist Aaron Delahanty, this painstaking restoration also corrected historical inaccuracies found in the original design, which depicts Rochester’s downtown during the height of the Erie
Canal “boom town” era.

Mike Newcomb
6 Washington Road, Village of Pittsford, Monroe County

For the sensitive rehabilitation of a much-altered 19th-century house, which was a rental property and in need of extensive repairs. The new owner of this property completed the project, which includes the installation of appropriate windows,
clapboard siding and original doorways, returning the house to its historic appearance. With its highly visible location, this newly transformed house now demonstrates the value of good rehabilitation practices to the surrounding community.

Writers, editors and coordinators of the “Home Work” Column, CITY Newspaper
Rochester, Monroe County, and western New York

Since its debut in May 1999, the “Home Work” column in CITY newspaper has featured in-depth descriptions of historic houses that were available, for sale, in both city neighborhoods and surrounding communities. Coordinated by a dedicated team of volunteer writers, the column promoted residential architecture that spanned a 200-year range of styles and designs. A cooperative effort of CITY newspaper and the RochesterCityLiving program of The Landmark Society, the “Home Work” columns were a new and immensely popular venue through which the benefits of urban living were
promoted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Designed and Built by MYDARNDEST