The Award of Merit is for the sympathetic rehabilitation of an historic building or structure in our nine-county region completed within the past two years.
Palmyra Community Library 402 East Main Street, Village of Palmyra, Wayne County
Originally built in 1907 for the offices of the Garlock Packing Company, this handsome, brick building has been dramatically transformed into the new headquarters of the Palmyra Community Library. Vacant for a number of years, the highly visible building was purchased in 2007 by a newly formed public/private partnership, who sought a larger location for the library, which had outgrown its previous location. The challenging, two-phase project was coordinated by Bero Architecture, PLLC. Careful planning retained original windows, wood floors, interior staircases, and woodwork, while removing later-built partitions, adding an elevator, encapsulating asbestos, and creating a new meeting space and gallery on the third floor.