The Award of Merit is for the sympathetic rehabilitation of an historic building or structure in our nine-county region completed within the past two years.
Statue of Liberty replica Oatka Creek Park, Village of LeRoy, Genesee County
Installed in 1950 on the east bank of Oatka Creek, this distinctive replica of the Statue of Liberty was part of a national project to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. Two hundred of these statues were offered to communities throughout the U.S. Today, only a few dozen survive. Constructed of copper and standing over eight-feet-tall, this replica in LeRoy suffered from decades of damage and deterioration. The LeRoy Historical Society coordinated restoration of the statue and construction of a new plinth with an impressive corps of advisors including architect Lindsay Yoder, Thomas Podner of McKay Lodge Fine Arts Conservation Lab in Ohio, Southside Concrete in Buffalo, New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation, Orcon Industries, Bubba’s Landscaping, and contractors Rob McQuillen and Bobby Latham.